Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through links in this page. This helps keep this site running
There are plenty of ways you can get cheap online children's clothes from popular US stores. Here are the best tips for buying brand new at clearance prices:
1. Shop the clearance area
Whether online or in-store, the clearance area is a great place to look. Online is ideal, since you can typically filter very easily by size. Most budget-friendly children's clothing stores have a specific area on their website labeled "clearance" or "sale" where you can get some really great deals at a cheap price point.
Take a peek at some of the kids clothing stores who do it right at affordable prices – The Children's Place has an awesome clearance area here. You can click here for the full list of our 6 cheap yet high quality stores for kids clothes to check out their clearance sections.
FYI - if you can afford to step up just a little bit in quality and price, you'll be certain to enjoy the OshKosh B'Gosh clearance section here. Now your child can proudly sport these adorable looks without breaking your budget.
Pros for the clearance area:
- A chance to get rock-bottom pricing on your kids clothes.
- A chance to go a step or two up in brand name than you normally could afford.
Cons for the clearance area:
- Typically these are the items that don't sell as well: the nicest items may already be gone (often long since sold out at regular pricing) and/or not available in your child's size.
- Very limited selection from which to choose.
2. Shop the sales
Shopping the sales is another great tactic to get the best value children's clothes. You can get 20%, 30%, and sometimes even 50% or more off!
It can be difficult to know the right moment to shop the sales, because sales in kids clothes are very short: typically just one to three days, although some do run for longer.
Pros of shopping the sales
- You can get great kids clothes at cheap prices
- Selection is usually good - much better than the clearance section
Cons of shopping the sales
- Your child may need the item NOW, meaning you'll have to buy at full price instead of waiting for a sale to come around. If you tend to run into that problem, we've got you covered for the future: check out our article on getting all your kids clothes cheap, year-round! You need never buy at full price again.
With many sales happening on and off here and there, it can be hard to keep up with what deals are being offered. Don't worry, there are a few ways around that problem, here they are:
Sign up to be on my mailing list
You'll get updated when I write a round-up of deals from multiple different children's clothes stores here in the USA. This way you won't have to keep checking back here all the time to find the deals, nor will you get inundated with mediocre deals. I never spam you or sell your email address, and you can unsubscribe at any time!
I only collate the best of the best deals from cheap online children's clothing stores in the USA. This will keep you pretty much on top of the deals, but remember that it can never completely substitute for doing your own homework, since what I consider "the best of the best" deals may be different to what you would pick. Therefore, you should also:
Check out the deal at the top of my site
If there's an excellent discount or deal from just one brand of kids clothes, I put it up near the top of each page on this site. This way you always have a fantastic discount available that you can take advantage of. Just scroll towards the top of any page (including this one!) on this site.
For any children's clothes stores you like, sign up for their email list
I've got a few tips and tricks here of strategies for signing up for emails from children's clothing stores online. They'll send you mail every time they run any deal or promotion, so you'll be certain never to miss anything. The downside to this is that your inbox can get pretty full of so-so deals, but it's worth it if you don't want to miss anything, ever.
3. Shop regular price at cheap children's boutiques
Yes, to my happy surprise, I found that the affordable children's clothing stores can be even lower cost than major discount retailers like WalMart, Target, etc in terms of pricing. This can be true even at regular pricing. Don't be intimidated by these specialty kids clothes stores. Try our list of 6 best budget-friendly children's clothes stores as a start. I've shopped at all of those before, but the ones I keep coming back to again for cheap kids clothes are: The Children's Place, OshKosh B'gosh and Old Navy. If you want another to add to your list, I also like Carter's, many people are not aware that their sizes go all the way up to 14.
4. Want brand names? Then shop at the specialty clearance stores
If you're looking for brand name kids clothes, then go for any of the popular brand name clearance shops. At the end of each season, these clearance stores receive excess inventory from the fancy brand names. The clearance store sells these items onto you, passing the savings along. You can often get a really great brand name item for the same or cheaper than a no-name item from WalMart. So this is definitely worth checking out!
For this, I recommend Belk, Marshalls, and TJ Maxx, all of which have an awesome selection of children's clothing available for online shopping. In addition to kids clothes, they also stock men's, women's and household items as well so you can get great deals for the whole family there. If you want to look incredible at a cheap price point, you're covered.
5. Shop on eBay for "new with tag" items
Another option for brand new cheap kids clothes is to shop on eBay. If you're doing this, do your research and be careful! This can be a little riskier than buying from actual stores, but eBay offers a protection guarantee. I would only recommend purchasing "new with tag" items– there are some unscrupulous sellers who try to pass off a used item as new. My personal buying tips for eBay are:
- Do your research on seller's feedback score to make sure you're dealing with an honest reliable seller before buying. Take the time to read any neutral or negative comments before considering buying. I personally only go for sellers with well over 99% positive feedback.
- Make sure the item description says "new with tag" (you can use the filters to refine your results if need be) AND
- Make sure seller's photos include a pic of the tag as proof that the item really does come with the tags still on. Quite a lot of sellers omit this.
- Finally, if you have any questions about an item, get answers before bidding or buying. A reputable seller should always message you back promptly.
I tend to only shop eBay for items like shoes and accessories.
The bottom line
These 5 great tips for buying cheap online children's clothes will have your child looking awesome without breaking the bank. You need never buy at full price again!