Here are some cheap or free things to do this summer for boys and girls of all ages.
You can have a ton of fun with your kids without having to pay lots of money!
Here is my all-in-one list of summer family and kids activities:
- Picnic at the park
- Bake (cookies, bread etc). Make a large batch and give some to a neighbor or friend.
- Local public pool
- Invite over a friend for a playdate
- Plant fast-growing seeds (radish, marigold etc)
- Cardboard box fort
- Bubble bath
- Washing the car - have the kids be in bathing suits and make a game of it!
- Buy a mylar balloon each from dollar store – small outlay, hours of fun.
- Rock painting
- Sprinkler fun
- Shaving foam in bath
- Make your own ice cream sundae party at home – and invite a little friend or two around for an ice cream fun playdate. Cheaper than going out for ice-cream, and twice as fun!
- Hiking trail
- Sidewalk chalk. Either pictures, or make roads for driving toy cars. Too much direct sunlight? Give them a golf umbrella each and let it rest, open, on the ground where they're working. It's the perfect size for a young child to sit in its shade while drawing.
- Pick-a-vege at the supermarket. They pick, you have to make a dish with it, or if applicable you can serve it raw with dip.
- Buy a bunch of crafting items from dollar store (popsicle sticks, construction paper etc) and have the kids create their own project.
- Easy & cheap mini road trip – take a trip to a small town near you, explore!
- Catch public transportation together. Yes, even if it’s less convenient than driving!
- Sprinkler park, if they have one in your area. A good sprinkler park is worth the travel, and public ones are usually free.
- Gather up old toys to give to charity. Go shopping for 1 new toy afterward, dollar amount equal to number of old toys donated.
- Have family movie night and overnight camp-out in sitting room.