Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links
Most of the Halloween events I attend are family-friendly ones – so I don’t want to show up in a sexy nurse outfit when my doorbell rings with little trick-or-treaters!
But if you look in any Halloween mail flyer, you might notice that it can be quite difficult to find modest costumes for women that are still cute and flattering to wear.
You won’t want dated or out of style costumes either.
Good news: I’ve managed to find some cute solutions to this dilemma for you in 2015 – without breaking your budget!
Here are a bunch of different options you can try:
Idea 1. Masquerade ball costume – ultra-cheap, ultra-elegant!
This one is very easy to do, cheap, and super-elegant. Simply get:
- An existing evening gown you own (although be careful: if you don’t want to risk any damage, purchase a pre-owned gown at your local thrift shop for this costume)
- A masquerade mask. This should be a very cheap item – you might be able to get this in-store locally in the Halloween aisles, or you can even make your own to match your dress with some cardstock, a wooden kebab skewer and some paint, glue, feathers and glitter. No time to drive around or make your own? These masks (the hands-free version is known as “Venetian masks”) are also available cheaply online in the Mardi Gras or masquerade accessory section of Halloween stores.
You’re done! You’ll look absolutely stunning – yet modestly covered.
Idea 2. Renaissance costumes as Halloween wear.
If you want to keep to a cheap price point, I suggest you avoid specialty Renaissance stores – these tend to be more historically authentic but can get quite pricey.
Instead, go for a Renaissance costume from a Halloween store. For this, I personally recommend Trendy Halloween because they are:
- family-friendly – ideal if you’re letting your kids watch while you browse,
- have a good range of Renaissance costumes at different price points, several of which are under $30. and
- offer free shipping above $75, and very low flat-rate shipping below $75.
By contrast, I found that most other Halloween stores don’t have quite such a favorable price + shipping cost, and one of these uses weird gimmicks like only offering discounts if a bunch of conditions are fulfilled, e.g. all items being purchased from the same warehouse – no thanks, shipping should be their problem not mine!
So, that’s why I recommend Trendy Halloween, but feel free to shop around and seek out what store is best for you.
3. Select a pre-made modest Halloween costume from a Halloween store
The pics at the top of this page come from Trendy Halloween, a family-friendly Halloween store. If you browse their offerings on their site, you should be able to find a modest yet flattering costume at a cheap price point.
As a bonus, right now they’re offering a choice of 3 coupons listed in their “Up to 25% Off – A Halloween Sale for Every Monster!” sale. These expire during October 31st, 2015. Even without coupon though, I like that their prices are reasonable compared with the flyers that come through the mail.
GoodKidsClothes.com – helping you get the most for your money. You work hard for your money, so it should work hard for you!